Our client is engaged in the sourcing, trading, marketing and distribution of non-ferrous metals, ferroalloys, minerals and industrial raw materials.
They manage all parts of the supply chain from producer to consumer — worldwide, from more than 20 global locations.
We are looking for a Senior Technical Business Analyst who loves solving complex business and technical problems, with a data driven mindset and a high level of intellectual curiosity.
The candidate will have the opportunity to make significant
contributions to internal process optimisation/automation initiatives, which will have a notable impact on the business as the company continues to grow.
The Business Analyst will work closely with product controllers, traders, the Middle Office, and the applications development team to create and maintain new applications designed to optimise
procedures around the month-end closing process, day to day position/P&L/inventory management, in addition to logistics activities such as invoicing or managing service costs.
To succeed in the role, the candidate must leverage their experience working for other physical commodities trading companies and have a complete understanding of the entire physical contract lifecycle from the front office to back office, along with very strong technical skills.
- Analyse internal processes in the front, middle, and back office. Find inefficiencies and design systems to automate them. Work with our in-house application development teams, and ensure successful project completion end-to-end. Example processes include: accounting month end closing, inventory reconciliations, daily position verification, and invoice processing.
- Support a dynamic trading business by providing effective functional solutions to end users’ business needs. The successful candidate will be energised by the opportunity to work on real business requirements directly with key users.
- Develop a deep understanding of our client’s data warehouse and know exactly which fact tables/dimensions to use for each business use case.
- Deliver timely and accurate assistance to internal colleagues; must have the ability to understand their needs and propose solutions with existing and/or new tools/applications.
Required professional experience: 10+ years as a business analyst working on in-house development projects for a physical
commodities trading company
- 10+ years of experience working with accounting systems, knowledge of accounting month-end closing processes and related data.
- 10+ years of experience working with a physical commodity trading risk management system (CTRM) and knowledge of the physical contract lifecycle.
- 10+ years of experience working with SQL databases and creating middleware used for application development/interfaces.
Required commodities trading industry knowledge:
- Complete understanding of accounting month-end closing and intra-month control activities, including an in-depth understanding of accounting systems, reporting, and journal entries.
- Familiar with Mark-to-Market P&L calculations, futures, and foreign exchange
- Familiar with Trading P&L attribution and other advanced P&L calculations, and trading position management
- Complete understanding of the commodities supply chain from mining to delivery of finished goods to end customers.
- Advanced understanding/experience with logistics processes including transportation, warehouse releases, invoicing, management of secondary costs.
- Thorough understanding of the physical contract lifecycle from forward, inventory, to realised (and implications / data flows throughout all departments of the company).
Required technical skills:
- Advanced proficiency with database SQL query language to create tables, views, stored procedures, and functions in a relational database or data warehouse. The candidate must be able to read, debug, and code advanced stored procedures.
- Strong understanding of Microsoft .Net Core development (C#) for web applications and APIs.
- Broad experience with Microsoft Windows, MS-Office, Windows Server, and strong Excel skills for prototyping / analysis.
- The candidate must be very strong technically with a wide range of experience/knowledge on how enterprise applications are built.
Required personal skills/characteristics:
- Excellent organisational skills with the ability to prioritise workload in a time-sensitive environment and balance multiple projects while maintaining strict attention to detail.
- Strong analytical and business writing skills with precision and attention to detail in all aspects of written and verbal communication.
- Confident, comfortable communicator with strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong teamwork within a distributed team in US and Europe – ability to delegate and/or help teammates in equal measure while inspiring teammates to collaborate.
- Intellectual curiosity and ability to learn quickly and retain knowledge.
- Hands on mentality, solution minded and determined to get to the root of the issue through strong analytical thinking skills.
- Excellent time management skills with sharp focus on deadlines.
- Disciplined work habits leading by example.
- Excellent listening skills before answering.
- Ability to work independently and to know when to ask for help
- You deliver customer value, keep promises and are capable to follow up on short and strict deadlines.
- You recognise yourself in the company core values: result-oriented, approachable, service-oriented, honest, enterprising and connecting.
The candidate should have a bachelor’s degree in one of the following, however a specific degree or academic background is not required:
- Information Systems, Computer Science, Economics, Statistics, Mathematics or a related discipline
- English: Excellent business verbal and written proficiency
- Comfortable working in a multinational company with many accents and different cultural backgrounds.